It is with GREAT pride and enthusiasm that I welcome you and your son/daughter to the 2019-2020 school year. My name is Bill Walsh and I am the principal of the BEST middle school in the Sweetwater district, Castle Park Middle School! I just completed my first year as principal and am proud of our accomplishments, namely, we increased our promotion rate for 8th graders from 83% in 2017-18, to 89% in June 2019! Our CA SBAC results are in and we increased our percent of students meeting proficiency in English by several percentage points, math held steady. I am proud of these gains and will continue to work to ensure that Castle Park Middle School is the very best option for students who want to succeed!
Our teachers and staff are AMAZING and I can assure you that your child will be taught by one of the most talented groups of professionals that I have ever worked with! I will thank you all now for helping us make this a great year for your child.
We will continue our focus on career readiness and college going culture:
- We will prepare your child with a WORLD CLASS middle school experience that will adequately prepare them for high school and motivate them to think about careers after high school and college,
- We will maintain high expectations of academic and social success for your child, and we will help them meet and exceed those expectations,
- We will have our annual college and career conference during the second semester, and invite professionals throughout the community to visit our campus and speak with our students.
- Continue to explore Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math (S.T.E.A.M.) and Innovation and Design throughout our curriculum.
- We will continue to grow our after school enrichment programs, offering a wider variety of special interest opportunities, clubs, and sports.
These are only a few of the many exciting plans that we have planned for the 2019-2020 school year. Thus, it is very important to know the actual school days we have with your child. We have exactly 180 academic school days and there are so many things to cover and discover with your student in a short period of time. This is why attendance is so important to us. To fully benefit and reap the rewards of a quality education our students need to be in class every day, on time and fully participating in their classes and ready to learn each day.
Thank you! I look forward to meeting with you and ask that you please mark your calendar to attend our Back-to-School Night on Thursday, August 8th and CAASPP Student Recognition Assembly (if eligible) during the school day early in the fall semester. If you have any questions or needs, please call us at (619) 498-6000. Thank you!
Bill Walsh, Principal