It is with GREAT pride and enthusiasm that I send you this letter to welcome you and your son/daughter to the 2018-2019 school year! My name is Bill Walsh and I am your new principal this year at Castle Park Middle School. Most recently I was the principal at Southwest Middle School in the neighborhood of Nestor in South San Diego for the past five years. Previously, I was an Assistant Principal at San Ysidro High School from 2005 until 2010, and I was an Assistant Principal here at Castle Park Middle School from 2003 until 2005.
I have met most of the teachers and staff and can assure you that your child will be taught by one of the most talented groups of professionals that I have ever worked with! I will thank you all now for helping us make this a great year for your child.
We will continue our focus on career readiness and college going culture:
- We will prepare your child with a WORLD CLASS middle school experience that will adequately prepare them for high school and motivate them to think about careers after high school and college,
- We will maintain high expectations of academic and social success for your child, and we will help them meet and exceed those expectations,
- We will have our annual college and career conference during the second semester, and invite professionals throughout the community to visit our campus and speak with our students.
- Continue to explore Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math (S.T.E.A.M.) throughout our curriculum.
- We will continue to grow our after school enrichment programs, offering a wider variety of special interest opportunities, clubs, and sports.
These are only a few of the many exciting plans that we have planned for the 2018-19 School Year. Thus, it is very important to know the actual school days we have with your child. We have exactly 180 academic school days and there are so many things to cover and discover with your student in a short period of time. In July we have only 7 days, in August only 23 days and September only 15 days before we are on fall break. This is why attendance is so important to us. To fully benefit and reap the rewards of a quality education our students need to be in class every day, on time and fully participating in their classes and ready to learn each day.
Thank you! I look forward to meeting with you and ask that you please mark your calendar to attend our Back-to-School Night on Thursday, August 9th and CAASPP Student Recognition Assembly (if eligible) during the school day early in the fall semester. If you have any questions or needs, please call us at (619) 498-6000. Thank you!
Bill Walsh, Principal